November 7, 2017
Thank you so much for your support of Clay’s Golf and Guitars these past three years. Your past generosity has allowed the Clay Eichler Memorial Fund to contribute $110,000 to Texas A&M University-Texarkana for scholarships and $300,000 to form The ArkLaTex 100 Club which supports our local first responders.
Today, Ed and I are excited to announce our 2018 recipient is The Salvation Army in conjunction with the opening of a new Boys and Girls Club of Texarkana. Let me explain why we are so excited!
Texarkana is facing a crisis with our youth because a large majority of our children are from economically disadvantaged homes. The four public school districts, Liberty Eylau, Pleasant Grove, Texarkana Arkansas, and Texarkana Texas together, have over 10,000 students who fall into this category.
Children from these homes are unable to take advantage of private tutoring and other after-school programs. To provide programs for these children, The Salvation Army opened the Boys and Girls Club of Texarkana in the Rosehill district in 2014.
- The Salvation Army provides tutoring and other educational programs including art, STEM, and music to these children.
- These programs have improved the academic scores of the children and enhanced their mental, social and emotional well-being.
- Unfortunately, due to its size and location, the Boys and Girls Club can only serve 40 of the 150 children who have memberships.
The Liberty Eylau School Administration has given Texarkana a tremendous opportunity. They have offered the use of their C. K. Bender Elementary School campus to The Salvation Army in order to open another Boys and Girls Club.
- The new club will initially serve 100-150 students with the capacity over time to serve 700 children.
- It offers classrooms, a library, a cafeteria, a gymnasium, and a playground, all of which will give the Salvation Army the ability to expand its program offerings.
- It will be available to ALL of Texarkana’s economically disadvantaged children ages 6-18.
The money raised from the 2018 Clay Eichler Memorial Fund will be used to:
- Provide additional staff for the new facility.
- Provide scholarships for children in order to attend.
- Provide expanded programming, supplies and additional computers.
- Provide large indoor and outdoor sports and recreation facilities.
- Increase the number of children we can help from 40 to a maximum of 700.
The date for this year’s Clay’s Golf and Guitars is Saturday, May 19, 2018 at Northridge Country Club. In the next few weeks you will be receiving sponsorship and event information. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Help us make a positive difference in the lives of many children in Texarkana.
Gail and Ed Eichler